Dip dyeing furniture is very much on trend at the moment as it’s a fresh, funky spin on what would essentially be normal furniture. It also aids in breaking large pieces up and adding more visual interest. When it comes to dip dyed furniture, you could buy it from specialist furniture outlets, or you could make it at home for a fraction of the cost.
- Primer paint (spray)
- Spray/acrylic paint
- Masking tape
- Start by choosing your furniture piece you want to “dip”. For this project, we chose a chair.
- Since most dining chairs (new or old) will already have some sort of finish, start by measuring how high you want your dip to go. Mark the area with a pencil using a ruler and spirit level to ensure a neat, level line. If your wood is still raw, measure and mark your lines then stain or varnish the top half according to the instructions on the can.
- Using masking tape, cover the area above the line. If you’re concerned about the precision of your work, you may wrap the part of your chair not being painted with newspaper.
- Remove the existing finish on your chair. Give it a light sanding and wipe the dust away.
- Now you’re ready to start painting. Paint a coat of primer first as this will help you achieve a better finish.
- Once your primer is dry, you can start painting your topcoat. An easy alternative would be a coat of spray paint, though acrylic will work well too. Be careful not to smack paint on too thickly as the finish won’t look very attractive.
- Once dry, remove all the tape and marvel at your cool dip dyed chair.
Terms and conditions:
House of Paint & Décor are “South Africa’s Favourite Paint Specialists”. We endeavour to always provide excellent service and expert advice. However some of our members may not carry the full range of products mentioned on this project. House of Paint & Décor tries to ensure that we have sufficient stocks of advertised products to satisfy anticipated customer demands. However, in the event that House of Paint & Décor runs out of stock, or if you can’t find the product you desire please contact us on our customer care line and House of Paint & Décor will assist in sourcing it! Click here for our Customer Care page or contact our customer care line on 086 112 2114.