How to create your own
Instagram canvas prints
Everyone has tuned in to Instagram these days, so why not incorporate some of your photography into your home décor? Having professional prints done can be rather expensive, whereas with this guide you can get the same effect and put your heart into it as well. This would also make a great gift for a friend too.
- A square canvas
- Fine Sandpaper
- Mod Podge
- Foam Brush
- Black Acrylic Paint
- Instagram pictures of your choice
- Paper cutter or scissors
- Scrap Paper
- Select the Instagram pictures you like then resize it on your computer so that it fits the dimensions of your canvas. If you struggle with technology take it to your local printer and they will assist you in doing this step.
- Once the image is printed trim the edges to a perfect square. Then you can begin positioning the print on the canvas to ensure that it is the right size and trim more if it is required.
- After your picture is cropped, give your canvas a sanding to smooth out the surface.
- Then, with the foam brush, apply a layer of Mod Podge and position your print to the edges correctly. As you go, smooth out the bumps very gently if you are too rough you could tear the picture so do so carefully. Let this dry for an hour at least. If there are very small bumps do not hesitate they will disappear once the glue is dry.
- After the drying period, apply a new coat of Mod Podge, work horizontally first with the foam brush then begin painting vertically. If small bumps appear do not worry as this will disappear as the Mod Podge dries. Allow the canvas to dry for an appropriate amount of time.
- Place some scrap paper underneath the canvas. You may even find it helpful to put masking tape carefully over the dried image. That way once your paint is applied you can take off the tape to reveal a clean and neat edge. Apply the black paint to the edges and ensure that none of the canvas shows through.
- Once dry, you can then decide what to do with your canvas, give it as a gift or use it to adorn your home with memories.
Terms and conditions:
House of Paint & Décor are “South Africa’s Favourite Paint Specialists”. We endeavour to always provide excellent service and expert advice. However some of our members may not carry the full range of products mentioned on this project. House of Paint & Décor tries to ensure that we have sufficient stocks of advertised products to satisfy anticipated customer demands. However, in the event that House of Paint & Décor runs out of stock, or if you can’t find the product you desire please contact us on our customer care line and House of Paint & Décor will assist in sourcing it! Click here for our Customer Care page or contact our customer care line on 086 112 2114.