How to Paint and distress a
Old or raw wooden frames with lots of detail are perfect for painting and distressing. Learn how to paint and distress them with this project.
What you’ll need
- Sandpaper 220 grit
- Small paintbrushes
- Chalk, milk or latex paint – colour of choice
- Clear paint or sealant
- Sand your frame thoroughly to take away any shininess. It isn’t necessary to remove all the stain though. Just a light scuffing is good enough.
- Wipe the dust off the frame with a damp cloth.
- Paint 2 coats of paint and leave to dry in between each layer.
- Once the paint is completely dry use a piece of sandpaper and sand the whole frame. Sand so that you allow the wood underneath to show through in the detailed areas. Try to smooth out any imperfections too.
- Clean the whole frame with a wet cloth again.
- Paint a clear coat to seal the frame and add some shine. Paint 1 to 2 layers.
Terms and conditions:
House of Paint & Décor are “South Africa’s Favourite Paint Specialists”. We endeavour to always provide excellent service and expert advice. However some of our members may not carry the full range of products mentioned on this project. House of Paint & Décor tries to ensure that we have sufficient stocks of advertised products to satisfy anticipated customer demands. However, in the event that House of Paint & Décor runs out of stock, or if you can’t find the product you desire please contact us on our customer care line and House of Paint & Décor will assist in sourcing it! Click here for our Customer Care page or contact our customer care line on 086 112 2114.