How to paint
your garage door
- All purpose cleaner
- Cleaning cloth
- Painters tape
- Drop cloths
- Wire brush
- Paint scraper
- Palm or circular sander OR chemical stripper and sanding sponge.
- Safety goggles
- Dust mask
- Primer (Choose one that is suited to your garage door)
- Wide paintbrush OR paint roller OR paint sprayer
- Paint (Choose one that is suited to your garage door, a semi-gloss will be easier to maintain)
- Always wear safety goggles and a dust mask when sanding and painting.
- When you are painting the inside of your garage door, make sure the area you are painting is well ventilated; get lots of fresh air.
- Paint when the conditions are ideal; avoid painting when it’s too hot, too cold or raining. Do not paint in direct sunlight or when the surface you are painting is warm to the touch.
- Don’t skip any of the preparation steps, good preparation will help ensure your paint job will look good and last long.
- If you’re using a paint sprayer, test it on a large piece of cardboard first. This way, you can adjust the sprayer until it is spraying the way you want it to, make sure it’s not going to run. Before spraying the door, make sure you have protected the surrounding area sufficiently.
- Thoroughly clean the door using the all-purpose cleaner and a cloth, then rinse using the hosepipe.
- When it’s dry, use the wire brush to scrape off any loose paint and the paint scraper to remove any rust. Then, strip the door using your sander or the chemical stripper and sanding sponge. After sanding, make sure you dust the door off.
- Prime the door using the wide paintbrush, paint roller or paint sprayer. Once done, allow the primer to dry for at least 12 hours, 24 hours would be even better.
- Once the primer has had its time to dry, paint the door using the wide paintbrush, paint roller or paint sprayer. Once done, allow it to dry and then add another coat.
- Well done! You should now have a fantastic paint job that will last for years!
- Now it’s time to thoroughly rinse your paintbrushes, roller covers and paint sprayer equipment. Pick up your drop cloths and carefully remove the painter’s tape at a 45-degree angle. Remember to store everything correctly so that it will be in perfect condition the next time you want to use it.
Terms and conditions:
House of Paint & Décor are “South Africa’s Favourite Paint Specialists”. We endeavour to always provide excellent service and expert advice. However some of our members may not carry the full range of products mentioned on this project. House of Paint & Décor tries to ensure that we have sufficient stocks of advertised products to satisfy anticipated customer demands. However, in the event that House of Paint & Décor runs out of stock, or if you can’t find the product you desire please contact us on our customer care line and House of Paint & Décor will assist in sourcing it! Click here for our Customer Care page or contact our customer care line on 086 112 2114.