- 25.4mm (1”) painter’s tape
- Electric sander
- 60 and 150 grit sand paper
- About 4 litres (1 gallon) of primer
- Tack cloth
- 1 large roll of brown craft paper
- 2 foam brushes (2”/ 50.8mm and 3”/ 76.2mm)
- 1 – 2 litres of acrylic latex paint with satin finish
- 220 grit sand paper
- Clear seal/varnish
- Start by removing any hardware from your piano, as well as the music desk and any other loose parts.
- Tape off everything you don’t want covered in paint. This is what the brown craft paper is for. Make sure to properly cover inside the top of the piano, the piano keys, the foot pedals and the music desk’s metal hardware.
- Start by giving the piano a quick sanding with the 60 grit sand paper.
- Give it a thorough dusting and then go back with a tack cloth to wipe any dust off properly.
- Now you can go ahead and prime the piano using the 50mm (2”) foam brush to get a smooth finish.
- Let the primer dry completely and go back with your 150 grit sand paper for another quick sanding. Dust it off again and use a clean tack cloth to get rid of any leftover dust.
- Now you paint! Pick your favourite colour (be brave) and paint the entire piano using the other foam brush.
- Once this coat is dry, it’s time for another sanding with the 220 grit paper. When you’re done, dust it off again and use another tack cloth to collect the stubborn bits of dust that remain. We suggest doing 3 coats, sanding and dusting between.
- To finish, give it a coat of clear varnish to seal and protect your piano. Once dry, remove all the brown paper, reattach all hardware and enjoy!
Terms and conditions:
House of Paint & Décor are “South Africa’s Favourite Paint Specialists”. We endeavour to always provide excellent service and expert advice. However some of our members may not carry the full range of products mentioned on this project. House of Paint & Décor tries to ensure that we have sufficient stocks of advertised products to satisfy anticipated customer demands. However, in the event that House of Paint & Décor runs out of stock, or if you can’t find the product you desire please contact us on our customer care line and House of Paint & Décor will assist in sourcing it! Click here for our Customer Care page or contact our customer care line on 086 112 2114.