on a Budget
- Primer sealer
- Painter’s tape
- Semi-gloss paint
- Sand paper
- Tack cloth
- Steel wool
- Paint applicator
- To give your kitchen cabinets a new lick of paint, start by removing all the doors, drawers and knobs and hinges, but leave the attached slides on the drawers. Tip: to make reinstallation easier, mark each door and its corresponding location.
- Before continuing, give everything a proper clean, making sure to remove all grease and grime. Allow them to dry completely and continue.
- You can now sand the doors on all sides. Be careful not to round the edges or over-sand the doors. You should give the cabinet frame fronts a quick sanding as well. If you don’t want to paint the interior, mask it off with painter’s tape for a clean finish.
- Once you’re done sanding all the surfaces, give it a good dusting, making sure to get rid of all the residue. For an extra measure, wipe it down with a tack cloth.
- You can now give everything an even coating of primer and give it time to dry.
- Time to start painting. Paint the cabinet frames first and allow to dry while you continue to the doors and drawers.
- Paint in thin, light coats. If there are any raised or routed pieces, make sure that the paint goes into the crevices and corners. Give the paint at least 4 hours to dry.
- Once dry, give all surfaces a quick sanding to prepare for the second coat of paint. Repeat the process of dusting and wiping down with the tack cloth. Two coats should be enough, but use your own discretion.
- Now it’s a matter of puting everything back together and enjoying your new kitchen.
Terms and conditions:
House of Paint & Décor are “South Africa’s Favourite Paint Specialists”. We endeavour to always provide excellent service and expert advice. However some of our members may not carry the full range of products mentioned on this project. House of Paint & Décor tries to ensure that we have sufficient stocks of advertised products to satisfy anticipated customer demands. However, in the event that House of Paint & Décor runs out of stock, or if you can’t find the product you desire please contact us on our customer care line and House of Paint & Décor will assist in sourcing it! Click here for our Customer Care page or contact our customer care line on 086 112 2114.